Tamale Nutrition Facts – The history of Tamale dates back to ancient Aztec and Mayan civilizations. The word “tamale” originates from the old Aztec word “tamale”, meaning wrapped food. That is what exactly makes Tamale. It combines ground corn – masa, chillies, and meat, which is covered in a corn husk. Today tamale is associated with traditional Mexican as well as Native American food.
Mind-blowing Tamale Nutrition Facts You Must Know!
They are known to contain high amounts of sodium and fat, but they also seem to provide essential minerals and vitamins to support good health. Tamales are famous for their nutritional benefits in their daily diet.
Are Tamales Healthy?
To answer this question, let’s see the different tamale nutrition facts we have listed below.
- Calories – 280
- Fat – 18g
- Saturated Fat – 7.2g
- Cholesterol – 50mg
- Sodium – 575mg
- Potassium – 184mg
- Carbohydrates 0 17g
- Protein – 11g
So, by seeing the list above about the tamale nutrition facts, we can clearly understand that it has its pros and cons. It all depends on the quantity you are having it. For your reference we have provided a detailed chart for tamale nutrition facts.
6 Must-Known Tamale Nutrition Facts
- Tamale, which is traditionally prepared, contains a significant amount of fats. Saturated fats taken in large amounts can lead to weight gain, heart disease, and high cholesterol. So, it becomes essential for you to watch out for your Tamale’s fats and cook them accordingly, maintaining their deliciousness and nutritional benefits.
- The traditional preparation of Tamale was mainly pork. As you know, pork contains a healthy amount of proteins and fibres. Proteins are perfect for your health and your body. These proteins are a rich source of nutrition that helps rebuild and repair the cell growth in your body.
- Proteins are also responsible for transporting oxygen throughout your body for better and healthy functioning. Proteins also help to get you energized. Such proteins in your daily meal should always be encouraged and included regularly. Fibres promote healthy digestion and help prevent constipation, heart-related diseases, and hemorrhoids. The traditional preparation of Tamale using pork is a health benefit for you.
- One serving of tamale is also a rich source of iron which is beneficial for your health and body. Iron is good for building up your immunity, and healing wound and is suitable for red blood cell production in your body.
- One serving of Tamale also contains enough zinc, which is very much required by the body. This zinc is beneficial and an essential factor for building up your body’s immunity, helping in red blood cell production, and cell division in the body.
- Niacin is required by your body for promoting a healthy digestive system, supports healthy skin, and is suitable for your nerves. This vitamin is an essential component of Tamale.
- Tamale is also a source of calcium, Vitamin C, and potassium. These minerals are suitable for the overall development of your health and body.
Preparation of Tamale for making it more nutritional
The traditional recipe of Tamale is not always followed to the core. And even if you manage to follow the recipe, you might be wondering about the dish’s health benefits. To keep the taste intact and to make the dish healthier, you can follow some of the steps mentioned below for your reference.
- To replace the saturated fat while following the recipe of Tamale, you can choose to opt for vegetable oil or olive oil. This use of vegetable oil or olive oil can help replace the need for lard in the dish’s preparation and, in short, reduce the number of saturated fats in the world.
- Traditionally pork was used as the filling of the Tamale. You can choose to make the dish more nutritional in value. You can opt for any lean mean, such as shredded chicken breast, or even opt for ground turkey.
- You can even choose to make the filling nutritious and exciting. Opt to add fresh green beans and green vegetables rich in protein and minerals which are beneficial.
- To keep tamales healthy, nutritious, and tasty, you can opt not to include cheese in your cooking. You can even keep a bare minimum amount of cheese to get a taste of the dish.
- The broth you opt for making for your tamale is also very nutritious and healthy, as well as tasty. Ensure to keep the broth sodium-free, as tamale is high in sodium which is not very good for your health.
- To add extra flavour and make your tamale nutritious, you can include ingredients like cumin, garlic, ginger, onions, carrots, and beautiful herbs.
- You can also try a completely new recipe for a tamale. This is the Turkey Tamale Pie.
Tamale is considered to be the staple food for everyone around the celebrations. Tamale represents home food and provides that comfort and taste you want during the festival. Tamales are prepared as steamed wrap, and this is the reason why they are also considered to be a healthy alternative. Especially during the festive season when we don’t check our eating habits, tamales are an excellent alternative.