Cashew Butter Recipe
Cashew Butter Recipe is a delicious vegan kitchen staple that is super easy to prepare and is oh-so-versatile.
What Is Cashew Butter?
Cashew Butter is a creamy, rich, and delicious spread that is made using cashew nuts.
It is used mostly as a spread on toasts or as a dip but you can also use it in smoothies, oatmeal or to make vegan cheese. The possibilities are endless.
While you can easily purchase it from most stores, making your own cashew butter at home enables you to control the ingredients you are using thereby making it healthier and also more cost-effective.
Cashew butter will vary in its nutritional content based on if it has other ingredients added to it such as oil and sugar.
It is one of the best sources of iron, monounsaturated fatty acids, essential amino acids, and magnesium and all these nutrients are beneficial for blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes control, maintaining bone health, and improving the immune system and body metabolism.
The Uses Of Cashew Butter:
- As a Spread: Cashew butter can be used as a delicious spread for crackers, apple slices, toast, celery, or any other food you would like to spread it on.
- As a Creamer: Because of its creamy nature, cashew butter can be used as a creamer in hot tea and coffee. Just by adding a bit of honey or a sweetener of choice, you can take any hot tea or coffee drink from ordinary to extraordinary.
- In Sauces: You can prepare a variety of sauces by roasting the raw cashews and then using them to make your Homemade Cashew Butter. Asian and Italian dishes can be made using a sauce containing a little bit of this roasted cashew butter
- In Desserts: Cashew butter is an important ingredient in many vegan and other healthy desserts due to its creamy and delicious texture.
Cashew Butter Using Only Cashew Nuts
High powered blender or a food processor
- 3 cups cashews raw
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil
- Now roast the cashew nuts in the oven for 15 mins at 165 degrees C
- Flip them midway and once they are done, set them aside and allow them to cool completely.
- Then place them in a blender and blend for at least 10 mins with breaks after every 2 mins and check the consistency.
- Once it reaches a creamy consistency, switch off the blender and enjoy.
This Cashew butter can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 months. It can also be stored in the freezer for 3 months.
Cashew Butter Using Coconut Oil
High powered blender or food processor
- 16 ounces raw cashews
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon,
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chai spice blend
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Once preheated, place the cashews onto the baking sheet and into the oven and roast for 7 minutes flipping them midway.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes
- Now place the cashews, coconut oil, sea salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract, cacao powder, and chai spice blend into a food processor,
- Blend for at least 5 mins so that it becomes smooth but is still thick. Switch off the blender and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a month
Storage And Refrigeration:
For store-bought nut butters the temperature while making the nut butter is better controlled than with a home kitchen. For this reason, Homemade Cashew butter has to be stored in an airtight container and can be kept in the fridge to prevent the cashew nuts from going rancid too quickly. This process of refrigeration might harden the cashew butter a bit due to the presence of the coconut oil but it is necessary. When you are about to use the cashew butter, just allow it to sit on the countertop for a few minutes to soften and stir it all up. Additionally, you can even let it sit by a warm oven or window.