Chicken Of The Woods Recipe – It was first described as Boletus sulphureus in 1789 by French mycologist Pierre Bulliard and was finally given its current name in 1920 by American mycologist William Murrill. Laetiporus means “with bright pores”, and sulphurous means the colour of sulfur.
It is an easily recognizable, brightly coloured fungus that is often found in clusters. They are pretty significant, growing 2-20 inches across and weighing about 100 pounds. The fungus grows in large brackets on living or decaying trees, such as oak, eucalyptus, yew, cherry wood, sweet chestnut, and willow, causing a reddish-brown rotting timber. They begin fruiting at the beginning of the summer and continue into the fall, and once they start fruiting, you can be sure that the fungus has already attacked the tree. Historically, this fungus was known to damage the wooden ships of the British Naval Fleet.
Chicken Of The Woods Recipe
Chicken of the woods recipe is a delicious high-protein vegetarian or vegan alternative to chicken.
What Is Chicken Of The Woods Recipe?
Chicken of the woods recipe or Laetiporus sulphureus is an edible mushroom found in Canada, the USA, Europe, and parts of Asia. They are commonly known as a sulfur shelf, chicken mushroom or chicken fungus because it is often described as tasting like and having a texture similar to that of chicken meat.
The top surface of the Chicken of the Woods is bright orange which is lighter around the edges, this fungus has no gills, but its bright yellow undersurface is covered with tiny pores. With age, the colour of the mushroom dulls from bright yellows and oranges to yellow and then pure white. Older mushrooms tend to become brittle and should not be used in cooking.
How Does Chicken Of The Woods Recipe Taste?
Chicken of the Woods recipe has been described as moist and succulent, with a mild lemony and meaty taste. The mushroom is also high in protein (about 14 grams per 100 grams), And even its sinewy texture is similar to soft, juicy, tender chicken meat. It can make an acceptable chicken substitute in most vegetarian and vegan recipes, but always thoroughly cook the mushrooms.
Is It Safe To Eat?
Chicken of the woods is safe to eat. However, there have been instances of mild allergic reactions such as swollen lips or, in rare cases, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and disorientation in a small percentage.
Unfortunately, lookalikes such as Laetiporus huroniensis are almost identical to Laetiporus sulphureus and seem to cause poisoning more often. They both may also sometimes interbreed, making it even more challenging to distinguish the two species. The good news is that L. huroniensis only grows in northeastern North America and mostly on conifers. In western North America, Laetiporus sulphureus doesn’t occur naturally. However, two lookalikes are Laetiporus gilbertsonii (on eucalyptus) and Laetiporus conifericola (on conifers). Both are known to be implicated in poisonings.
Keeping all this in mind, it’s essential to cook it well and try just a little bit the first time to check for any reactions.
Chicken Of The Woods Recipe Cooking Tips
Some general cooking tips:
- Fresh young mushrooms work good, so look for caps that are juicy with a tender texture. Ideally, they should ooze clear liquid if you slice them.
- Clean these mushrooms by just wiping them down with a damp cloth. It is better not to wash them as they will get waterlogged.
- Cut your chicken fungi into smaller pieces for easier cooking.
- Go easy on the cooking oil unless specifically for deep-frying as These mushrooms can absorb a lot of fat during cooking
Ingredients to make Chicken Of The Woods Recipe
- 3 cups cleaned chicken of the woods mushrooms
- One tablespoon olive oil
- Three minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Chicken Of The Woods Recipe?
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth, chop them into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the garlic and olive oil. Allow it to cook for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. They will turn a vibrant orange.
- Now pour in the white wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and let the whole thing simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with pasta or even as an appetizer.
And that’s a wrap on our Chicken of the Woods recipe! We hope you enjoyed making and eating this unique and delicious mushroom dish. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out. Until next time, happy cooking and enjoy your Chicken of the Woods!