Lobster Ravioli Recipe
Lobster ravioli recipe is a dish typical of the picturesque country Italy. It is made by first hand kneading a pasta dough and rolling it out into thin sheets. These sheets are then stuffed with various fillings and boiled in a sauce before being served hot.
Interestingly, ravioli has variations all over the World, from China to India, where the dough is wrapped with either sweet or savory fillings and maybe, steamed, boiled, or fried.
In this recipe, we will focus on ravioli that is stuffed with lobster meat, boiled, and then served with a generous helping of creamy sauce and tangy tomato chutney that will send your taste buds into a tizzy.
The process of making the most delicious lobster ravioli starts long before you light the flame in your kitchen. Here are a few steps to choose the best lobster from the fish market:
- The hardshell lobsters taste more fishy while the softer shells are on the sweeter side, so choose accordingly.
- Choose the freshest lobsters available, obviously.
- Prefer lobsters with clean claws as opposed to the ones that are dented.
- Pick the ones with longer antennae.
Once you have the best lobster on sale in your basket. It is now time to start the cooking.
This recipe makes 4 servings
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
To make the filling:
- 1/4 pound salmon, deboned and skinned
- 1 egg white
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 heaped cup boiled or steamed lobster meat
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 lemon juice with some zest
To make the stock
- Lobster shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 stick celery, chopped fine
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 stick of lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
To make the tomato chutney
- 4 tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
To make the lemon vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Begin by making the filling for the ravioli. Grind the salmon till it forms a coarse mixture. Add the white of the egg to make a paste by continuously pulsing. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Gently fold the lobster meat in. Now add the basil, lemon zest, and juice, salt, and pepper. Chill this mixture in the refrigerator for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Prepare the lobster shells by roasting them in the oven at 400 F until they are dry. Be careful to avoid browning. 20 minutes should do it.
- Proceed to make the stock by adding olive oil to a pot and heating it. Add the diced carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and bruised lemongrass. Cook them on medium-high heat for around 4 minutes. Drop in the lobster shells and tomato paste. Add brandy and cook on high heat for 30 seconds till alcohol evaporates. Add the beef and chicken stocks. Bring to a boil. Lower flame once the liquid starts boiling and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Strain and reserve the stock to poach ravioli. Transfer half of this to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and reduce for around 30 minutes. Mix in the cream once you have switched off the heat.
- To make tomato chutney, blanch tomatoes, and transfer them to cold water once the skins split. Dice the pulp of the tomatoes. Add olive oil to a pan and drop in the diced tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes and add basil and salt to finish.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette by mixing all the ingredients until well, blended.
- Form the shapes of the ravioli dough and stuff them with the lobster filling. Keep them covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
- Finally, poach the ravioli by dropping it in the boiling poaching broth in small batches. Ensure that they don’t end up clumping together. Poach for approximately 90 seconds. Coat the steaming ravioli with vinaigrette and serve it hot drenched in the sauce. Add the tomato chutney as an accompaniment.
Tips To Get The Best Lobster Ravioli
- Use only the finest quality of lobsters, cheese, and butter or olive oil available.
- Though this dish reheats well, it is best enjoyed fresh.
- Top each plate off with parmesan cheese for a beautiful nutty flavor.