School Pizza Recipe is a hint of childhood nostalgia served on a slice.
What is School Pizza Recipe?
School pizza is a type of pizza dish that is served in school cafeterias for the kids. Considering the number of kids that have to be fed, these are massive pizzas that are cut into rectangular slices and are available in varieties such as plain cheese, veggie, or with some kind of meat topping.
Ingredients to make School Pizza Recipe
For the pizza dough:
- 2 ¼ tsp of active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the pizza toppings:
- 1lb ground sausage
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
How to make School Pizza Recipe?
To make the pizza crust
- In a small bowl, whisk together yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it turns foamy.
- Take another bowl and mix together the flour and salt.
- Now pour the olive oil and yeast mixture into the bowl containing the dry ingredients.
- Mix them all together with a wooden spoon until the dough just begins to form.
- Now knead the dough by hand until it becomes soft and elastic, this usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the dough is elastic, place it in a greased mixing bowl and cover it up with plastic wrap and let it rise until it has doubled in size which usually takes about 30 minutes.
To cook the sausage
- Take a non-stick skillet and place it over medium-high heat.
- Now add in the sausages and break them up into small pieces.
- Cook until the pink color disappears, this takes about 8 mins.
To cook the pizza
- Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lay the dough onto a large baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and sprinkle a little flour or cornmeal over it. This helps to soak up some of the moisture.
- Now flatten and stretch the dough ball to create a rectangular shape.
- Then poke holes across the surface of the dough by using a fork.
- Now take olive oil and brush over the surface of the dough.
- Next spread tomato sauce evenly and do not leave more than a ¼-inch border on all sides.
- Generously sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the dough
- Now add the cooked ground sausage evenly over the cheese.
- Place the pizza in the oven and bake at 450 degrees F until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown, this usually takes about 15 mins.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and carefully place it on a cutting board for at least 5 mins. Slice it into rectangles and serve immediately.
Tips And Tricks For the Preparation of School Pizza Recipe
- Save time by making the dough ahead of time. Once it rises, wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer-safe bag. Let it thaw in the refrigerator and come to room temp before cooking it.
- When making the dough, use warm water as this helps to activate the yeast. Ideally, the temp should be about 110-120 degrees F, similar to shower water. If the water is too hot, it will kill the yeast.
- Adjust the dough thickness as per your preference. Roll out the dough until it is thin if you like a crispy crust.
- Freeze the pizza by wrapping it in plastic wrap and reheat by baking it in the oven for 5 mins or until the crust is crispy.
- The toppings can be anything of your choosing, such as cooked ground beef, pepperoni, ham, and bell pepper.in fact, you can use up your leftovers by using them as a pizza topping.
School Pizza Recipe Variations
- Have a great start to your day with a school breakfast pizza by adding toppings like scrambled eggs, bacon, bell peppers, and cheese.
- Give your school pizza a simple Mexican twist by using ground beef that has been cooked in taco seasoning. And add veggie toppings such as onion, bell peppers, cilantro, and diced tomatoes.
- Be different with a Square School Pizza recipe by using a 14-inch square pizza baking tray.
- Get creative by making dippable pizza sticks using thick dough. After baking, cut the pizza into 1-inch by 3-inch sticks. Dip in tomato or marinara sauce and enjoy!
We hope you liked our School Pizza Recipe. For more such recipes information, follow our Blog, foodiewish.com.