Anabolic French Toast Recipe
Any health freak will certainly be familiar with the anabolic french toast recipe. This is a twist on the regular french toast that is full of carbohydrates and fats. The anabolic french toast recipe on the other hand makes use of large amounts of proteins and aims to substitute fats in the original recipe with healthier options.
This is a good breakfast option after a workout as it is filling and does not compromise on taste. It also will not pack on the pounds that you have just managed to shed in the gym.
Try this recipe which is an addition to the long list of healthy recipes that aim at proving maximum taste with minimum calories
How is Anabolic French Toast Different From The Regular French Toast?
Regular French Toasts consists of two main ingredients:
The bread used in regular french toast is white bread which is made of all-purpose flour, which is high in carbohydrates and calories. For your anabolic french toast, you can use protein-based bread. There will be several options available at your grocery store. Protein-based bread is usually made from grains like rye, barley, quinoa, or flax. This will ensure that you get a good dose of protein from bread alone.
The batter for regular french toast is made by combining eggs with a number of other ingredients like full cream, sugar, milk, etc. This is another source of calories. You can easily replace the sugar with a nonsugary syrup or stevia. The milk and cream as well can be replaced with non-dairy milk like soy milk or almond milk. These replacements will ensure that the recipe is not too high on the calorie meter.
Ingredients For Anabolic French Toast
- 6 slices of high protein bread
- 6 tbsp egg whites
- 2 whole free-range eggs
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple extract
- Any additions that you want for added flavor (cinnamon, peanut butter, etc.)
Method of Preparation
- Use a bowl to combine the egg whites, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix well to ensure that the mixture is fully combined.
- Spray some cooking oil onto a shallow pan and allow the pan to heat up on medium heat.
- Dip the bread in the egg batter and fry for at least 1 minute on each side till the bread is nice and golden brown.
- Drain the slices on a paper towel to absorb all the excess oil.
- Serve hot with toppings of your choice.
Tips For The Perfect French Toast
- When you buy the bread, you should ensure that the slices are thick and not thinly cut. If they are too thin they won’t be able to hold much of the egg batter.
- Mix the batter thoroughly so that there are no clumps and the eggs are well aerated.
- While dipping the bread in the batter let it stand in the batter for about 30 seconds. This will give it a chance to absorb all the egg mixture and the bread will be well soaked.
Can The Recipe Be Made Healthier?
Yes, that is completely possible. Adding a tiny amount of protein powder to the mixture will add in some more of the good stuff.
What To Do With The Leftover Bread?
The leftover bread can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Reheating can be done either in the microwave or directly on the flame in a pan. Reheating the bread on the full flame in a pan ensures that it retains its crispiness while reheating in the microwave might render the bread soggy.
What To Add In The Batter
You could go ahead and add any flavoring of your choice to the egg batter. You should be careful here, however, as is easy to pack on calories, one spoonful at a time. A bit of addition though will do no harm. Here is a list of what you can add to the batter:
- Peanut butter
- Flavored protein powders
- Cinnamon powder
- Ginger powder
- Jams and syrups that you like
Toppings To Anabolic French Toast
This is another area that you need to be aware of as toppings are usually sinful. Some common toppings to anabolic french toast are:
- Low fat ice cream
- Maple syrup
- Low-fat chocolate syrup
- Dried fruit
- Fresh fruit
- Low-fat whipping cream