Smoked Queso Recipe
The smoked Queso recipe is the perfect appetizer for your next party that goes great with just about anything and is sure to be a hit.
What is Queso?
Queso is a delicious tex-mex inspired appetizer that is essentially just a creamy, thick, and melted cheese dip that goes along great with tortilla chips. Queso is derived from the Spanish word for cheese and is the origin for various combinations, the most common being queso con chili which means a cheese with chili. In addition to this, there are also other variations depending on the kind of cheese used and the addition of chili peppers and spices, some people even go a step further and add meats into their queso such as ground beef, shredded chicken, or even chorizo. Smoking your queso in a smoker gives it a well-rounded flavor that will elevate this humble appetizer to a whole new level.
Smoked Queso with ground beef
- Ground beef 1 lb
- Minced garlic 1 tbsp
- Pepper jack cheese cubes 8 oz
- Mexican blend shredded cheese 8 oz
- Velveeta cubes 32 oz
- Salsa 1 cup
- Chopped white onion 1
- Taco seasoning ½ packet
- Cilantro 1 tbsp
- Chopped Roma tomatoes 2
- Cream cheese cubes 4 oz
- Diced jalapenos ¼ cup
- Disposable 9×13 inches aluminum tray
- Pecan wood chips
- Place the pecan wood chips in the smoker and heat it up to 230 degrees F.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and add in the ground beef and cook until it turns brown and is no longer pink.
- Once it is done, drain off the fat and add in the taco seasoning. Mix well and set it aside.
- Dice the Roma tomatoes, jalapenos, and onion and set them aside.
- Cut the cheese into cubes and set it aside.
- Now add all of the ingredients into the aluminum tray and place them in the smoker.
- Let it cook in the smoker for at least 2 hours until all the cheese has melted and the consistency is smooth. Stir it in between to ensure that it does not clump.
- Pour into a bowl once it is done and serve along with tortilla chips.
Smoked Queso with beer
- Velveeta cheese 1 lb
- Colby jack cheese 8 oz
- Rotel 2 cans
- Black lager ½ cup
- Diced cilantro 1 cup
- Sazon seasoning 1 tsp
- Shredded chicken 1 cup
For the topping
- Diced tomato ½ cup
- Diced jalapenos 3 tbsp
- Diced onion 3 tbsp
- Diced cilantro 1 tsp
- Disposable 9×13 inch aluminum tray
- Applewood wood chips
- Place the applewood wood chips in the smoker and heat it up to 275 degrees F.
- Chop the cheese into 1-inch cubes and set it aside.
- Add the shredded chicken to the aluminum tray along with the cheese cubes.
- Now add in the seasoning, Rotel cans and cilantro, and beer and mix it well.
- Place the aluminum tray in the smoker and let it cook for about 1 hour stirring it every 15 mins until the cheese has melted completely.
- Once it is done, top it off with the diced onion, tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.
Smoked Queso with mushroom soup
- Pork sausage 1 lb
- Minced garlic 1 tbsp
- Pepper jack cheese 8 oz
- Marble jack cheese 8 oz
- Velveeta 32 oz
- Salsa 1 cup
- Chopped onion 1
- Rotel can 10 oz
- Cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz
- Cream cheese 2 oz
- taco seasoning 1 oz
- 9×13 inch disposable aluminum tray
- Hickory wood chips
- Start by preheating the smoker to 250 degrees F.
- Place a non-stick skillet on medium heat and place the ground sausage in it.
- Cook until it turns brown and drain off the excess fat and set it aside.
- Cut all the cheese into small equal-sized cubes and set it aside.
- Take a disposable aluminum tray and add in the ground sausage, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, Rotel, salsa, onion, and garlic and mix well.
- Place the aluminum tray into the smoker and let it cook for at least 2 hours while stirring it in between so that the cheese melts completely and does not clump.
- Remove from smoker and serve along with tortilla chips
We hope you liked our smoked Queso recipe. For more such information, follow our Blog, foodiewish.com.