Spur Nachos Recipe
Spur Nachos recipe is a delicious treat that you can make at home and is perfect for parties, family get-togethers, or even as a fun family meal on the weekend. Nachos need no introduction, they were invented in Mexico in 1940 by Ignacio Anaya. This delicious dish quickly spread to Texas and soon after, it quickly spread to the rest of the world. Traditionally the nachos as invented by Anaya consisted of tortilla chips covered by melted cheese and jalapenos. But over a period of time as nachos gained popularity and became a hit in most parts of the world, this humble dish of nachos evolved to include more ingredients such as salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Nachos have quickly gained popularity as a delicious appetizer that is perfect for a group of friends. They are a great party snack and can be quickly thrown together with most ingredients already pre-made and easily available in most stores. But of course, if you have time and want to make nachos that are out of this world, then this recipe of spur nachos is the one for you.
What are Spur Nachos?
Spur nachos are a specialty at the South African origin spur steak ranches restaurant franchise. It was founded by Allen Ambor in 1967 in Cape Town. This first restaurant was so successful that it quickly grew into a second and later developed into a franchise spread all over South Africa and beyond. As of 2018, the spur steak ranches franchise has 323 restaurants spread over 15 countries.
Spur Nachos Mexicana is named so due to the addition of premade Spur Mexican salsa sauce.
- 1 packet of Doritos
- 1 tub of Cottage cheese
- 1 block of Cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped lettuce
- Sliced cucumbers
For the salsa
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp Mexican salsa
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
For the guacamole
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Cut the cottage cheese into small chunks and set them aside.
- Now grate the entire block of cheese and set it aside.
- To make the salsa, pour the oil into a small saucepan and let it heat up.
- Now finely dice the onion and transfer it to the saucepan.
- Saute for a few minutes until the onion is softened and they turn translucent.
- Now add in the tomato puree and the cumin powder, coriander powder, oregano, and salt.
- Mix well and let it cook until most of the tomato puree is reduced.
- Now squeeze the lemon and pour the juice into the saucepan making sure to avoid the seeds and mix well.
- Add in the Mexican salsa and stir it well and set it aside.
- To make the guacamole, cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Put the avocado into a bowl and mash it completely using a fork.
- Squeeze the lemon and pour the juice into a bowl and add in a little bit of the salt and mix it well.
- Now put the plain yogurt into the bowl and mix it all together and set it aside.
- To assemble the nachos, take a large platter.
- Start by putting the Doritos on the platter, followed by the chopped lettuce.
- Now add in the sliced cucumbers and the sliced jalapenos.
- Add a generous amount of grated cheese.
- Now add in half of the cottage cheese chunks and pour the tomato salsa over it.
- Add another layer of Doritos followed by the remaining half of the cottage cheese chunks.
- Now sprinkle some more grated cheese over it and place it in a microwave for at least 3 mins or until the cheese completely melts.
- Add a generous amount of guacamole to the platter and garnish with some more lettuce, cucumber, and jalapenos if needed and serve.
- Any kind of tortilla chips can be used in this recipe. Common favorites are Doritos and big corn bites.
- Any type of cheese of your choice can be used in this recipe, the more the cheese the tastier the nachos.
- If you prefer your nachos spicier, feel free to add in hot sauce or even a bit of paprika to the salsa.