Rajasthani Ghevar Recipe: Ghevar is a Rajasthani delicacy that is most often prepared during the festivals of Raksha Bandhan and Teej. It is mouth-watering and quite rich. This dish is quite difficult to prepare.
You may also love these delicious Indian sweets recipes
- Bengali Sweet Sandesh Recipe
- Indian Festive Sweets Kaju Katli Recipe
- Instant, Crispy and Juicy Jalebi Recipe
- Halwai Style Balushahi Recipe
Here is the recipe to prepare ghevar at home.
Rajasthani Ghevar Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup ghee(for the batter)
- 2 cups ghee(for deep frying ghevar)
- ½ tsp. saffron(kesar) soaked in milk
- ¼ tsp. yellow food colour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. almonds(chopped)
- 2 tsp. pistachios(chopped)
- 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- 5-6 drops kewra essence
Rajasthani Ghevar Recipe Method:
- In a bowl, take the milk and 1 cup ghee and mix well. Add the flour and water to it and mix to obtain a batter of uniform consistency.
- Add food colour and kewra essence to the remaining water and add it to the batter. The batter must be smooth and without lumps.
- Take an aluminium or steel cylinder with a height of at least 12’’ and 5-6’’ in diameter.
- Fill half the cylinder with ghee and heat it.
- When the ghee is hot, add about a glass of the batter to the ghee. This will cause the foam to rise.
- Allow the foam to settle and add another glass of batter, as per the size of ghevar desired.
- Take care to add the batter at the centre of the hot ghee such that it spreads out and fills the corners of the container.
- Using a skewer, pierce the ghevar at some places to loosen it. Let it fry for about 2 minutes until it changes colour.
- Remove the fried ghevar from the ghee carefully using skewers and drain out the excess oil.
- Allow it to cool.
- Take 2 cups of sugar along with 3 cups of water and heat it in a pan until it comes to a boil. Lower the flame and let it oil for another 7 to 8 minutes.
- Take a small amount of syrup in a bowl and allow it to cool. Check whether it is of 1 thread consistency. Once the syrup is of 1 thread consistency, remove it from the heat.
- Put the sugar syrup in a flat bottomed container and dip the ghevar in it. After a few minutes, drain out the excess syrup.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and top it with the pistachios, almonds and cardamom powder.
- Ghevar is ready to serve now.