Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe is hearty comfort food at its best and is perfect for weekend breakfast or brunch. Bob Evans restaurants are known for their delicious food and a fine selection of hams and breakfast sausages. Bob Evans was the founder of the Bob Evans chain of restaurants. Born in Ohio, Bob forayed into the food business in the 1940s when he started making his own sausages on a farm in Ohio from hogs that he had slaughtered himself. Unfortunately, most restaurants were not willing to purchase these sausages.
This prompted Bob Evans to open the first Bob Evans restaurant at this farm in Rio Grande Ohio in the 1960s which is still in service today and they even host festivals there each year. This single restaurant gained so much popularity that it became a necessity for Bob Evans to expand his restaurants to other states in the US and soon it developed into the beloved brand that we know today. As of 2020, there are 445 Bob Evans restaurants.
Though Bob Evans stepped down from the company in 1986, as the founder he remained very active in encouraging and supporting local farmers to employ sustainable and environmentally friendly practices until he passed away from pneumonia in 2007.
Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe
This Bob Evans sausage gravy recipe really brings the porky, meaty taste of the sausages to the fore. This is because this recipe is cooked in the fat that the sausages give out and there is no additional butter or oil used here and since the sausages are already seasoned, no fancy seasonings are required. just a dash of salt and pepper is enough to elevate this dish and make you look forward to breakfast.
Ingredients to make Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe
- All-purpose flour ¼ cup
- Whole Milk 2 cups
- Bob Evans pork sausages 1 lb
- Ready-made biscuits 8
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
Equipment needed for making Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe
- Cast iron skillet
How to prepare Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe?
- Take a large cast-iron skillet and place over medium-high heat.
- Add in the sausage and use a wooden spoon to break it down to form small crumbles.
- Keep stirring and cook until the sausage turns brown evenly and is no longer pink.
- Now add in the all-purpose flour to create a roux and keep stirring until it has all dissolved.
- Once the flour has dissolved completely, pour in the milk and continue to stir until it becomes thick.
- Now season it with salt and pepper and serve with hot biscuits.
Important Points to Remember for Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe
- If you prefer a spicier taste, just use spicy seasoned sausages rather than the original ones. You can even just use hot sauce for a spicy twist.
- If the sausage gravy is too thin, then mix together a tablespoon of milk with a tablespoon of flour and once it is well combined, whisk it into the gravy and let it cook until the gravy has thickened to the desired consistency.
- If on the other hand, the gravy is too thick for your liking, just add in more milk and keep whisking until the consistency is right.
- While the obvious pairing for the sausage gravy is of course the biscuits, you can also pour this delicious gravy over any other breakfast food such as fried eggs or hash browns. You can also use it over mashed potatoes and fried chicken
- You can use any kind of sausage to make this Bob Evans sausage gravy recipe. however since turkey or chicken sausages are low in fat, you would need to add in a little bit of butter or oil to make this gravy.
Go a step ahead and make the biscuits at home with this easy Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Recipe.
Ingredients for Butter biscuits
- All-purpose flour 2 cups
- Butter ½ cup
- Milk ⅔ cup
- Baking powder 1 tbsp
- Salt ½ tsp
- Cooking spray
How to make Butter biscuits?
- Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F and line the baking sheet with the cooking spray.
- Take a bowl and add in the flour, baking powder, salt and mix it well.
- Now add in the milk and butter and mix until a dough is formed.
- Dust your hands with a little bit of flour and knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Flatten the dough and using a biscuit cutter, cut out 12 pieces
- Now place the biscuits on the baking sheet keeping at least an inch of space between them.
- Bake until they are golden brown and serve.
And that’s a wrap for our Bob Evans sausage gravy recipe! We hope you enjoyed making and eating this classic dish. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out. Until next time, happy cooking and enjoy your delicious sausage gravy!