Welcome to a sweet treat! Today, we’ll be making a delicious traditional dessert from South Asia – the Burfee. This creamy, sweet, and melt-in-your-mouth confection is the perfect ending to any meal. So grab your ingredients and let’s get started!
What is Burfee?
Burfee recipe is a rich milk sweet that originated in India. The name burfee is derived from the Indian Hindi/Persian word barf meaning snow. This is because the main ingredient in burfee is milk and sugar giving it a white snow-like appearance. However, this simple burfee has now evolved to include dry fruits and flavourings such as chocolate burfee and even mango burfee recipe and for events like weddings, it even includes the addition of edible silver or gold leaf.
Milk Burfee recipe
Ingredients for Burfee Recipe
- Ghee ¼ cup
- Milk 1 cup
- Milk powder 2 ½ cup
- Sugar ¾ cup
- Cardamom powder ¼ tsp
- Chopped pistachios 2 tbsp
- Chopped almonds 2 tbsp
How to make Burfee Recipe?
- Take a large bowl and add in the milk powder, cardamom powder, sugar, and milk.
- Whisk until it is all well combined.
- Place a non-stick pan on low flame and transfer this mixture to the pan.
- Add in the ghee and stir until this mixture starts to thicken.
- After about 10 mins you will notice that the mixture retains its shape and leaves the sides of the pan easily.
- At this stage, line a tray with a baking sheet and transfer this mixture to the tray.
- Press it gently into the tray and try to level it.
- Gently press the pistachios and the almonds into the mixture.
- Cover the tray and place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Run a knife along the sides of the tray and remove the burfee from the tray.
- Cut into small squares and serve.
Ingredients for Coconut Burfee
- Fresh grated coconut 3 cups
- Sugar 2 cup
- Cardamom powder ¼ tsp
- cream 2 tbsp
- Milk ½ cup
How to Prepare Coconut Burfee?
- In a non-stick, pan add in the grated coconut, sugar, and milk and stir it well on medium flame.
- Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
- At this stage, you will notice that the mixture has started to thicken, add in the cream.
- Once the cream is added, continue to cook it while stirring continuously on medium flame until the mixture thickens further
- As you continue to stir, you will notice that the burfee mixture leaves the sides of the pan easily and can retain its shape.
- Now add in the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Transfer this mixture into a tray that is lined with a baking sheet
- Press the mixture into a tray and level it using the back of a spoon.
- Allow the mixture to rest for at least 10 mins and then unmould it.
- Cut it into small squares and serve.
Gram flour Burfee (Besan)
Ingredients for Gram flour Burfee
- Gram flour 2 cups
- Semolina 2 tbsp
- Ghee 120 gm
- Cardamom powder ¾ tsp
- Sugar 225 gm
- Water ½ cup
- Sliced almonds 12
How to Make Gram flour Burfee?
- Take a large pan and place it on medium-high flame. Add in ghee and let it melt.
- Once the ghee has melted, add in the semolina and let it fry in the ghee for at least a minute.
- Add in the gram flour and let it mix well with the ghee and keep stirring for at least 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thick.
- Once the mixture is thick, reduce the flame to low and continue to stir until the ghee separates from the flour.
- Continue to cook it for at least 20 minutes. At this stage the mixture will turn golden brown and will have a nutty aroma and the consistency will no longer be thick.
- Once it is done, place it on the counter and set it aside to cool.
- Add water to a pot and place on medium heat.
- Add in the sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Keep stirring until it starts to bubble and becomes sticky and thick and set it aside.
- Add the cardamom powder to the gram flour mixture and mix well.
- Now add in the warm sugar syrup and stir until it is well combined with the gram flour mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tray and sprinkle the sliced almonds over it.
- Now press it down using the flat end of a spoon and set it aside to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.
And that’s it! A delicious and creamy Burfee recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth. Serve it chilled with a cup of chai for a true South Asian experience. I hope you enjoyed making this recipe as much as you’ll enjoy eating it. Until next time, happy cooking!