Cowboy Candy recipe is a great blend of sweet and spicy and is sure to become your favorite condiment. Cowboy candy is also known as candied jalapenos. Essentially cowboy candy is sliced jalapenos that are sweetened in simple sugar syrup.
Classic Cowboy Candy Recipe
- Jalapeno peppers ½ lb
- Sugar 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar ½ cup
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- Ginger powder ½ tsp
How to Prepare Cowboy Candy Recipe?
- Remove the stems and slice the jalapenos into ¼ inch rounds and set them aside.
- Place a pan on medium heat and add in the sugar, vinegar, chili powder, turmeric powder, and ginger powder and stir.
- Keep stirring until the sugar starts to dissolve and it comes to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to low and stir until all the sugar has dissolved and allow to simmer.
- Add in the sliced jalapeno peppers and mix well so that they are evenly coated with the sugar syrup.
- Let it simmer until the jalapeno color starts to darken as it cooks, this should take about 4 mins.
- Once the jalapenos are done, transfer them to a clean glass jar and top off the jar with the remaining sugar syrup leaving ¼ of space from the top.
- Seal the jar well and place it in a pot filled with hot water.
- Place on high heat and allow the water to come to a boil.
- Let the jars sit in this water bath for at least 10 mins.
- Once they are done, set them aside to cool.
- Once they are at room temperature, place them in a refrigerator and let them sit at least overnight or for a week.
- Alternatively, you can just place the jar in the refrigerator and avoid the water bath process.
Tequila Cowboy Candy
Ingredients to make Tequila Cowboy Candy Recipe
- Fresh jalapenos 8 oz
- Onions ¼ cup
- Sugar 2 cups
- Apple cider vinegar 1 cup
- Tequila ¼ cup
How to Make Tequila Cowboy Candy?
- Cut the stems off the jalapenos, slice them into 1/4 inch rounds, and set them aside.
- Cut the onion into rings and then into halves and set them aside.
- Place a saucepan on medium heat and add in the sugar and vinegar.
- Stir constantly and bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for at least 5 mins or until the sugar syrup has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add in the tequila, jalapenos, and onion.
- Place on low heat and allow to simmer for at least 5 mins and stir so that everything is mixed well.
- Now using a slotted spoon, transfer the jalapenos to a clean glass jar.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the jalapenos leaving ¼ space from the top.
- Cover well with a lid and let it sit at least overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Beer Cowboy Candy Recipe
Ingredients for Beer Cowboy Candy Recipe
- Fresh jalapenos 1 lb
- Apple cider vinegar ½ cup
- Beer ½ cup
- White Sugar 2 cups
- Brown sugar 1 cup
- Red pepper flakes ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare Beer Cowboy Candy Recipe?
- Cut the stems off the jalapenos, slice them into 1/4 inch rounds and set them aside.
- Pour the vinegar, beer, both sugars, pepper flakes, mustard seeds, and salt in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved and add in the jalapenos and let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Transfer the jalapenos to a bowl and reduce the heat so that the syrup gets thickened further.
- Put the jalapenos in a jar and cover them with the syrup.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- You can choose to deseed the jalapeno or you can keep it for a chunkier texture.
- The longer the cowboy candy stays in the refrigerator, the better the taste as the flavors get a chance to mix. Ideally, it should be kept for at least a month before eating but if you cannot do so, keep it for a week minimum.
Cowboy Candy Recipe Uses
- Cowboy candy can be used as a dip by mixing it with some cream cheese and serving it along with some crackers or bread.
- Add it to a beef marinade before grilling or top the grilled beef with it.
- Add it as a hamburger or hot dog topping
- Place them over your loaded nachos
- As part of a salad such as a potato salad
Cowboy Candy is a sweet and spicy treat that is perfect for anyone who loves a little heat in their food. With its combination of sweet and tangy flavors, Cowboy Candy is a unique and delicious way to add a little excitement to your snacking routine. Whether you’re serving it as a snack or as a topping for your favorite dishes, Cowboy Candy is sure to delight. So why not try this Cowboy Candy recipe today and discover the delicious taste of this spicy-sweet treat for yourself? Your taste buds will thank you!