Fried Mushroom Recipe is a delicious and easy vegetarian appetizer that can be whipped up within no time. They are perfect for when you have unexpected guests or even for a party. Mushroom dishes make up a large part of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and European cuisine.
Mushrooms are really versatile. There are so many different types that are all so delicious yet have unique features such as oyster mushrooms that have a meaty texture or lobster mushrooms that mimic this seafood delicacy so well. Mushrooms are a vegetarian diet staple and there are so many delicious and quick recipes that are perfect for a weekday meal.
The History Of Mushroom Consumption:
While we all know that mushrooms are actually a fungus, people began consuming mushrooms around 13,000 years ago. Of Course, back then there were food tasters to determine if a mushroom was edible or not. Now our knowledge of edible mushrooms is fairly better and we know that most commercially grown mushrooms such as those available in a supermarket are safe to eat as they are grown in a sterile and controlled environment.
However, there are several mushrooms foragers who take up the task of identifying wild mushrooms and deeming them fit for consumption. This task of identification is of utter importance as toxic and fatal mushrooms do not have any specific markings or characteristics to distinguish them from edible mushrooms thus making this process a difficult one. Unless knowledgeable, never ever attempt to cook or eat a mushroom without proper identification, it could be fatal.
How To Clean Mushrooms?
Mushrooms are porous so soaking them to get the dirt off actually leads to them absorbing more water thus diluting their flavor. The way to clean mushrooms is to just wipe them off using a damp kitchen towel. If you prefer to clean them a little bit more, then a quick rinse in a colander is more than enough.
Next, chop off the yellow and hardened end of the stem and cut the mushrooms as desired.
Beer Battered Fried Button Mushrooms
- Button mushrooms 1 lb
- All-purpose flour 1.5 cups
- Beer 1 cup
- Salt 2.5 tsp
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Garlic powder ¼ tsp
- Onion powder ¼ tsp
- Chopped parsley 1 tbsp
- Oil for frying
- Clean and trim the ends of the mushrooms and set them aside.
- In a deep pot, heat about 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Put ½ cup of flour in a bowl and add in the mushrooms. Let the flour coat the mushrooms completely and shake off any excess flour.
- Take another bowl and add in the remaining 1 cup of flour, the beer, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder, and mix well to create a batter.
- Dip the mushrooms into this batter and let the excess drip off.
- Place the coated mushrooms in the oil and let them cook until golden brown, this usually takes about 7 mins.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the cooked mushrooms and serve hot!
Tips and Tricks:
- The type of beer used will determine the flavor of the batter. Use a mild lager for a subtle taste or a wheat ale for a more full-bodied taste.
- These mushrooms taste great on their own but you can always make a honey mustard sauce to go along with it. Even plain mustard, ranch, or ketchup works well.
- Try and use mushrooms that are similar in size, this will ensure that they cook evenly while frying.
- Add some cayenne pepper or paprika to the beer batter for a spicier flavor.
Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms 1 lb
- Oil 1 cup
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Flour ⅓ cup
- Water ⅔ cup
- Clean and trim the oyster mushrooms and set them aside.
- Take a bowl and add the flour, water, egg, and a little bit of salt. Mix well to create a batter.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Coat the mushrooms evenly with the batter and shake off the excess.
- Place the mushrooms in the pan and fry for 8 mins
- Increase the heat and fry for another 2 mins
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the mushrooms and serve hot.
Fried mushrooms are a delicious and versatile snack that are loved for their crunchy exterior and tender interior. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer or just want to try something new, fried mushrooms are a great option. With its simple and straightforward ingredients, this recipe is easy to make and sure to impress. So why not give it a try and see why it has become such a popular snack.