Gordon Ramsay fish and chips recipe is a classic no one in their right mind would ever want to miss out on. If you too are a fan of the crisp, battered fish that is snappy on the outside and soft and succulent on the inside. This Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe is one that you should take note of.
Where Are Fish And Chips Popular?
The right answer to this question is, all over the World. There are variations of fish and chips all over the globe. From Africa to the Middle East, people have created their own versions of this delicious recipe.
England should get a special mention though because that is where it all began. Fish and chips were popularized over suburban London as an on-the-go lunch item for office goers who didn’t have enough time to get packed lunches from home. It has since grown into an important item of fine dining. If rumors are to be trusted, the Queen has a royal version of fish and chips as well, with trout from the rivers on the Balmoral estate. So indulge in this Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe that has graced royal tables and peasant’s homes, alike.
What Fish Is Best For Fish And Chips Recipe
Not all fish are suitable for this delicate Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe. Go with a white-fleshed fish. Trout, cod, salmon are some good options. Tuna works well too. Sweeter fish, eg tank fish is more suited to this kind of preparation, rather than sea fish, which tends to have a more briny taste.
Ingredients to make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe
- 120 gms self-rising flour or all-purpose flour
- 175 gms fish fillets, eg, cod, trout, etc.
- 1 egg white
- 160 ml light beer
- 1 large potato
- Oil for frying
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
How to Make Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe?
- Put a large skillet on the flame. Opt for a large, pan. Avoid anything too deep like a pot.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and curry powder in a bowl. Whisk them together with a whisk so that they are well combined.
- Next, whisk the egg whites together till they form stiff peaks. This should take about 2 minutes. You can use a handheld mixer for this.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the dry mixture.
- Now take some flour separately on a plate. This is what you will need for the dusting.
- You will need to add a few pinches of salt and curry powder to this as well, for flavoring.
- The oil should be hot by now. Test it by adding a drop of batter into it. If the batter rises to the top immediately, it is an indication that the oil is hot enough.
- Dip the fish in dry flour first. Dust off any excess flour that might be clinging to the fillets.
- Now dip the fish in the batter and shake off excess batter too.
- Add the battered fish to the hot oil immediately.
- Fry the fish on each side for about 1 and half minutes. Remove the fillets when they are golden brown.
- Keep the fish on a plate that has been lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Cut the potato into long and slim slivers.
- Fry the pieces in the same hot oil.
Fish and chips are incomplete without tartar sauce. This is what adds the punch to the dish and takes it to a whole new level.
- 1 tbsp gherkins
- 50 gms creme fraiche
- 200 gms mayonnaise
- ¾ shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Hot sauce
- Combine the mayonnaise and hot sauce.
- Add all the other ingredients to this and mix well.
- Add salt, if required.
Tips For Preparation for Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe
- Use an unflavoured oil, like sunflower. Do not use a denser oil, like olive oil, as the batter tends to absorb more oil then for this Gordon Ramsay Fish And Chips Recipe.
- Never overcrowd the pan as the fish will not fry, fast enough then. Make sure all the coated fish pieces have enough space to fry and expand.
- Fry your fish on medium-high flame.
- You can modulate the temperature by continuously taking the pan on and off the flame so the oil doesn’t get too hot.
- If you have to serve the fish later, keep the plate in a warm oven so that they stay warm for long.
- Serve the tartar sauce in a tiny ramekin, else it tends to get all over the place.
Thank you for joining us in making this delicious Gordon Ramsay fish recipe! We hope you enjoyed every bite of this restaurant-quality dish. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out. Until next time, happy cooking!