Joy Behar Lasagna Recipe is a comforting, hearty, and delicious dish that you just would not want to miss out on. There must be very few people who have not heard of Joy Behar and her famous lasagna recipe. Often discussed on the show ‘The View’ by her co-hosts, it is an adored meal that is made only for special occasions. Behar usually makes the Italian dish only for moderator Whoopi Goldberg on her birthday.
Ingredients to make Joy Behar Lasagna Recipe
- 1/2 box lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage without their casing
- 1 lb. shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 diced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 28 oz can of crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp.sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
Ingredients for Cheese Mixture
- 1 lb. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 extra-large beaten egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
How to make Joy Behar Lasagna Recipe?
Prepare Oven & Noodles:
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F and make sure the oven rack is in the middle.
- Soak the lasagna noodles in hot tap water to soften them while you cook your sauce or according to box directions. This usually takes about 10 mins.
Make The Sauce:
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add diced onions and cook them over medium-low heat until translucent, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the garlic and stir for one minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, marinara sauce, tomato paste, oregano, basil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Cook The Sausage:
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the sausage in a deep skillet over medium-low heat, breaking them down into smaller bits with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Prepare The Cheese Mixture:
- While the sauce and sausage are cooking, make the cheese filling.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, one cup of Parmesan, the beaten egg, parsley, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper and set it aside.
Assemble the layers:
- Pour one-third of the meat sauce into a casserole or baking pan of approximately 9″x 12″x 2″ size and now spread the sauce over the bottom of the dish.
- Then add approximately half the noodles, so that you cover the sauce with the noodles, half the shredded mozzarella, half the cheese mixture, and one-third of the sauce.
- Fill in the next layer with noodles, mozzarella, ricotta, and the remaining sauce.
- Garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan on top and bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling.
Pro Tip: Ensure that your lasagna is left covered with foil for about an hour before digging into it, this will allow it to cool gradually. That might be a difficult rule to adhere to as your house will probably be filled with the aroma of it.
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers
The leftover lasagna will keep in the fridge for at least 5 days. You can reheat individual slices in the microwave. To warm the whole casserole, cover it with foil and place in the oven at 350°F or until bubbly again.
How To Freeze And Reheat Lasagna
- To freeze unbaked lasagna: Start by lining the pan with foil, then assemble the lasagna directly. Let it cool completely, and then freeze until solid. Once frozen, lift the frozen lasagna block from the casserole dish, wrap it in more foil, then freeze for up to a month.
- To reheat an unbaked frozen lasagna: Remove the lasagna from the freezer and unwrap all the layers of foil. Transfer it to a dish, cover it, and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Once thawed, bake as directed.
- To freeze baked lasagna: Line the pan with foil, then assemble and bake as directed. Let it cool completely, then freeze until solid. Once it is frozen, lift the frozen lasagna block from the pan, wrap it in more foil, then freeze for up to a month.
- To reheat a baked lasagna: Remove the lasagna from the freezer and unwrap all the layers of foil. Transfer it to a dish, cover it, and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Once thawed, warm the whole casserole covered with foil in the oven at 350°F or until bubbly again.
In conclusion, lasagna is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many people around the world. It is made with layers of pasta, meat sauce, cheese, and vegetables, and baked until bubbly and golden brown. Whether you prefer a traditional meat and cheese lasagna or a vegetarian option, this dish is a comforting and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed any time of the year. With its rich and flavorful ingredients, lasagna is a dish that is sure to please everyone at the dinner table.