KFC was founded by Colonel Harland Sanders and the first “Kentucky Fried Chicken” franchise opened in Utah in 1952. KFC gained popularity in the fast-food industry by challenging the established dominance of hamburgers. It was sold to a group of investors in 1964.
KFC Original Recipe Chicken Thigh
KFC’s original recipe for chicken thighs needs no introduction. Crunchy on the outside and juicy and succulent on the inside, it is finger-licking good.
The Origin Of KFC
KFC or Kentucky Fried Chicken is an American fast-food restaurant chain headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, specialising in fried chicken. It is the world’s second-largest restaurant chain after McDonald’s.
By branding himself as “Colonel Sanders”, Harland became a prominent figure of American cultural history. He was so synonymous with this chicken recipe that he was retained as the brand ambassador and representative. As of early 2020, there are KFC outlets in 150 countries and territories of the globe. KFC adapts its menu internationally to suit regional tastes, and there are over 300 KFC menu items worldwide.
KFC Original Recipe Chicken Thigh Secret Ingredients
Sanders’ Original Recipe of “11 herbs and spices” is one of the best-kept secrets in the fast-food industry, so much so that a copy of the recipe signed by Sanders is held inside a safe inside a vault in KFC’s Louisville headquarters along with 11 vials containing the herbs and spices.
In August 2016, a nephew of Colonel Sanders claimed to have found the original recipe prompting Chicago Tribune staffers to test it out, and they reported after a few attempts that with the addition of the MSG, they produced fried chicken which tasted “indistinguishable” from the chicken purchased at KFC.
One of the reasons KFC’s fried chicken is so delicious is because they use pressure fryers. The idea behind cooking under pressure is that you can heat water to more significant than its standard boiling point of 212 degrees Fahrenheit, cooking food faster and more efficiently. The same idea worked with oil allowing the chicken to fry more quickly.
Ingredients to make KFC Original Recipe Chicken Thigh
- All-purpose flour2 cups
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Dried thyme leaves 1-½ teaspoons
- Dried basil leaves 1-½ teaspoons
- Dried oregano leaves one teaspoon
- Celery salt one tablespoon
- Ground black pepper one tablespoon
- Ground yellow mustard one tablespoon
- Paprika ¼ cup
- Garlic salt two tablespoons
- Ground ginger one tablespoon
- Ground white pepper three tablespoons
- Buttermilk 1 cup
- 1 Beaten egg
- 1 Chicken, cut up into eight pieces
- Neutral oil like canola or peanut oil for frying,
- MSG seasonings like Ajinomoto
How to make KFC Original Recipe Chicken Thigh?
- Combine the flour with the herbs and spices in a large bowl and set aside.
- Take another large bowl and whisk together the buttermilk and egg, mixing until they’re well combined.
- Now add the chicken to the buttermilk bowl and toss to coat. Cover the bowl lightly with plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes or even overnight. If marinade times exceed 30 minutes, place the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil. Set an oven-safe wire cooling rack inside the sheet and set it aside.
- Then in a large Dutch oven, heat about 3 inches of oil, or If you are using an electric tabletop fryer, fill the unit to its MAX line.
- Preheat the oil to 350 degrees over medium-high heat using a thermometer, and when the oil reaches 350 degrees, reduce the heat.
- Remove a chicken piece from the buttermilk, allowing all excess to fall off. Place the work in the flour mixture and press down firmly, sticking the flour on all sides. Shake off any excess flour and carefully drop the chicken into the hot oil.
- Continue dredging chicken until the fryer has about three to four pieces at a time.
- Cook the chicken for about 12 minutes, turning halfway through until the crust turns golden brown colour.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to the baking sheet and place them in the oven.
- Allow the oil to return to temperature before adding more chicken. Repeat the dredging and frying process with the remaining pieces of chicken.
- When all the chicken is fried, let the pieces sit in the oven until each reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Sprinkle each piece of chicken with a few shakes of MSG before serving.
Give this KFC Original Recipe Chicken Thigh a try if you want something pretty similar to the fried chicken at KFC.
We hope you liked our KFC Original Recipe Chicken Thigh. For more such recipes information, follow our Blog, foodiewish.com.