Polish Sausage Recipes
Polish sausage recipes are a delicious Polish delicacy that is traditionally made at weddings and other Polish events. It is a dish that you must try at least once in your life.
What are Polish sausages?
Polish sausages are also called kielbasa and are a staple of Polish cuisine. They are traditionally made of pork but various types of meat such as poultry, beef, turkey, or lamb can also be used.
What are the types of Polish sausages?
There are several types of polish sausages depending on the region but the most common ones are:
- Zwyczajna-This is the most common type of Polish sausage that is usually used for frying or grilling.
- Kabanosy- A thin spicy sausage
- Kielbasa Krakowska- A thick sausage with origins in Krakow. Usually used on sandwiches and in salads.
- Biala Kielbasa- A boiled sausage that is white in color and is commonly served with horseradish sauce.
- Black sausage- Also known as blood sausage and is commonly made using pigs’ blood, offal, and buckwheat.
Polish sausage with sauerkraut
- Polish sausage 1 lb
- Russet potatoes 1.5 lb
- Onion 1
- Sauerkraut 1 cup
- Unsalted butter 1 tbsp
- Ground black pepper ½ tsp
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Clean and chop the potatoes into ½ inch cubes and set them aside.
- Clean and slice the onions into 1-inch pieces and set them aside.
- Now place the chopped potatoes into a saucepan and cover with water and boil until they are tender.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain and set them aside.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add in the sausages and ½ cup of water.
- Cook until the water evaporates and then pan fry the sausages for another 10 mins and then remove from the pan and set them aside.
- Now in the same pan, add in 1 tsp of butter and let it melt.
- once it has melted, add in the sauerkraut and onions and saute for at least 5 mins and then push this mixture to one side of the skillet.
- In the empty part of the skillet, add in 2 tsp of butter and once it has melted, add in the potatoes and saute and then mix along with the onion mixture.
- Saute for at least 5 mins and then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked sausage to this mixture and serve.
Polish sausages with brown sugar
- Polish sausages 2 lb
- Worcestershire sauce ⅓ cup
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Diced onion 1
- Brown sugar ½ cup
- Hot pepper sauce 2 tsp
- Water ⅔ cup
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut the Polish sausages into 1-inch pieces and place them in a saucepan.
- Cover the sausages with a little water and let them simmer for 1 hour.
- Once it is done, drain the sausages and set them aside.
- In the same saucepan, pour in the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, onion, brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, and water.
- Stir well and let it come to a boil, make sure that the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Place the sausage pieces in a baking dish and cover generously with the sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and serve.
Polish sausage soup
- Polish sausage 1.5 lb
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Diced onion 1 cup
- Diced celery 2 cups
- Chopped cabbage 4 cups
- Sliced carrots 2 cups
- Bay leaf 1
- Thyme ½ tsp
- Vinegar 2 tbsp
- Beef broth 3 cups
- Water 2 cups
- Potatoes 3
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small cubes and set them aside.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter in it.
- Now add in the sausage, onion, and celery and cook it until the sausage turns brown.
- Now add this mixture into a soup pot along with the cabbage, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, vinegar, water, and beef broth and let it come to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, lower the flame and let it simmer for 1 hour.
- Now add in the potatoes and continue to cook the soup until the potatoes are tender.
- Now season with salt and pepper and garnish with dill if needed and serve.
We hope you liked our Polish Sausage Recipes. For more such information, follow our Blog, foodiewish.com.