Prawns Balchao Goan Style Recipe
Prawns Balchao Goan Style Recipe: "Prawns balchao" is a pickled Goan delicacy. The dish is very popular along coastal western India and is as simple..
Type: Non Veg Recipe, Prawns Balchao Recipe, Indian Food
Cuisine: Non Veg Recipe, Prawns Balchao Recipe, Indian Food
Keywords: prawns balchao, prawn balchao recipe, prawn balchao
Preparation Time: 10 Mins
Cooking Time: 35 Mins
Total Time: 45 Mins
Prawns Balchao Goan Style Recipe: “Prawns balchao” is a pickled Goan delicacy. The dish is very popular along coastal western India and is as simple to make as it tastes great.
You may also love: Top 10 Indian Curries to Satiate Your Hunger
This pickle could be served to spruce up any spread or with hot plain boiled rice as a meal in itself. Prawns balchao has all the goodness of prawns as it does the nourishment derived from the accompaniments.
You may also love: Traditional Bengali Doi Katla Recipe
Pickled prawns are a hit with adults and children alike and the best part is that you can buy prawns in bulk when they are cheaply available and come up with a dish that can be served all year through.
Prawns Balchao Goan Style Recipe Ingredients
- 1 kg medium-sized prawns
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable cooking oil
- 2 large onions
- 3 medium-large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ginger/garlic paste
- 12 dry red chillies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Cinnamon 2 inch stick
- 10 cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Salt to taste
Prawn balchao can be served as a pickle with any vegetarian or non vegetarian serving. It goes very well with sea food – fish curry/rice, prawn biryani, prawn pulao/curry etc. The balchao can also be eaten plain, with boiled rice or with bread.
Prawns Balchao Goan Style Recipe Preparation:
- Clean and de-vein the prawns.
- Wash and apply a little salt and turmeric powder and set aside.
- Chop the onion and tomatoes fine.
- Keep all the other ingredients close at hand.
- Roast the red chillies, cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and mustard seeds.
- Once their aroma spreads, take the mixture off from the fire and cool.
- Add the ginger/garlic paste to the roasted spices and grind to a smooth paste, using vinegar.
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan.
- Add the prawns and stir fry well for at least three minutes.
- Once the prawns are opaque, set them aside.
- In the same pan, fry the chopped onions till light golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomato and allow it to cook till soft.
- Add the spice paste, sugar and salt and stir fry till the oil separates from the masala mix.
- Add the prawns and mix well.
- Cook the prawns in the masala for 3 minutes.
The prawn balchao could be served hot, as soon as it is made, or cold as a bottled preservative. It goes well with just about any main course.