Venison Heart Recipe
Venison heart recipe is a delicacy that not too many people are aware of.
What Is Venison?
Venison is a term that is used to describe the meat or even the internal organs of game animals such as deer or elk. Eating these wild animals is considered to be healthy as the meat from these animals are lean and high in protein Venison’s heart in particular contains CoQ10 which is an antioxidant that is essential for maintaining a good immune system. It is also rich in essential minerals and vitamins such as iron, zinc selenium, vitamins B2, B6, B12.
How To Clean Venison Heart?
- Start by rinsing out the heart under cold water
- Squeeze and pump it to remove the blood.
- Then start peeling off the membrane that surrounds the heart.
- Trim off the upper part of the heart which has the entrance for the blood vessels.
- Trim off any white part on the surface of the heart, this is the fat.
- Now cut open the heart and remove the blood vessels.
- Thoroughly rinse the heart so that all the blood is washed off.
- If you plan to freeze it then make sure that it is dried properly before putting it in a Ziploc bag.
What Does Venison Heart Taste Like?
Though venison heart might not be as popular as the meat when properly prepared it tastes as good as beef tenderloin.
Char-Grilled venison heart
- Deer heart 1
- Chopped onion 1
- Chopped bell peppers 3
- Red wine vinegar 1 tbsp
- Worcestershire sauce 1 tbsp
- Olive oil 4 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Dried oregano 1 tsp
- Thyme 1 tsp
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Start by cleaning the heart as described above.
- Slice the heart vertically from the top to the bottom and continue that way until you get slices of your desired thickness.
- Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, and thyme into a large bowl with 2 tbsp of olive oil and mix well.
- Now add in the meat and mix well so that the meat is evenly coated with this mixture. allow to marinate overnight or at least for a minimum of 30 mins. The longer it marinates, the better the taste.
- Season the onions and bell peppers with salt and pepper, add the rest of the olive oil, and set it aside
- Place the peppers with the skin side down on the grill, add in the meat and onions, and grill on high heat.
- Grill the heart and the vegetables for at least 8 mins, then flip them and grill again for 5mins.
- Once the vegetables have a bit of a char on them, remove them and place them in a foil to steam.
- Continue to grill until the heart is charred. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the heart and remove it only when it reaches 130 degrees F.
- Once it has cooked completely, place it in a foil and cover loosely. Let it rest for at least 5 mins.
- Then sprinkle some more salt and black pepper over it and serve.
Venison heart Asian stir fry
For the marinade
- Rice wine vinegar 1 tbsp
- Honey 2 tsp
- Soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Water 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch 1 tbsp
For the stirfry
- Venison heart 1
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Sliced onion 1
- Sliced bell pepper 1
- Minced garlic 3 cloves
- Broccoli florets 1 cup
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Sesame oil 2 tsp
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a bowl until they are well combined.
- Now add in the venison and mix well so that it is evenly coated with the marinade and let it rest for at least 2 hours.
- Tale a wok and add in 2 tablespoons of oil and let it heat over medium-high flame.
- Now add in the venison and saute for 30 seconds on each side.
- Once it is done, remove and set it aside.
- Now pour a tablespoon of oil into the wok and add in the onions and cook for a minute.
- Now add in the broccoli, garlic, and bell peppers and saute for a minute.
- Add the venison back into the wok and saute all of it for another minute.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and mix well and serve.
We hope you liked our Venison Heart Recipe. For more such recipes information, follow our Blog, foodiewish.com.