Masala Dosa Recipe: Masala Dosa full of carbohydrates and protein and popular South-Indian cuisine. Its piquant taste has made it eminent all over the country. Now, it is sold almost in every restaurant and has become a well-known street food as well. Preparation may differ from city to city.
You may also like: Chennai Special Delicacy: Idli Sambar Recipe
Masala Dosa is made up of lentils and rice – stuffed with potatoes and served with sambhar and coconut chutney. There are many variations of Dosa – Panner, onion, masala, paper dosa, and many more. In this article, I am sharing the recipe of Masala Dosa.
How to Prepare Dosa Batter
- Urad Dal – ½ Cup
- Parboiled Rice – 1 and a half cup
- Meethi Seeds – 1 Tablespoon
- Baking Soda – ½ Tablespoon
- Salt – ½ Tablespoon
- Always use one part urad dal and 3 part rice.
- Soak both of them separately, overnight.
- Soak the methi seeds (Fenugreek) along with urad dal.
- Make the fine paste of urad dal and methi seeds (Fenugreek) and make a bit coarse paste of rice.
- After grinding them separately, mix both of them well.
- Now add ½ tablespoon baking soda and 1 tablespoon salt and mix them.
- Keep this mixture in the airtight jar and place it in the warm place for the fermentation process.
- In summer, the fermentation process will take 10 – 12 hours and in winter it will take 20 – 22 hours.
Ingredients for Stuffing
- Oil – 2-3 Tablespoon
- Green Coriander Leaves – 2-3 Tablespoon
- Onion – 1, chopped
- Potatoes – 4 medium size, mashed
- Mustard Seed – ½ Tablespoon
- Ginger – 1 inch, grated
- Green Chili – 1
- Salt – 1 small spoon
- Red Chili – ¼ Tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – ½ Tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ Tablespoon
- Amchur Powder – ¼ Tablespoon
Preparation of Stuffing
- Pour 2 tablespoon oil in the heated pan, add mustard seeds. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger, green chili, coriander powder, turmeric, mix them well and roast the masala.
- Add potatoes, amchur, salt, and red chili. Mix them.
- Stuffing is ready
Preparation of Masala Dosa
- Take the pan, drop in 2-3 tablespoon oil on the medium heated pan, and spread evenly on the pan.
- Pour two tablespoon batter on the pan, spread evenly by moving it in round direction.
- Pour some oil all around the dosa.
- When the color of the upper layer starts to change and the lower layer is roasted, place some stuffing in center of the dosa.
- Fold the dosa, and take it on the plate.
- Before putting the next batter on the tawa, clean the tawa with the wet cloth.
- Same way, cook all the dosa.
- Dosa is ready to serve.
- Serve it with sambhar and coconut chutney.